Thursday, September 25, 2008

Good to the last drop?


Selling Ferrari, Maserati, and Lamborghini parts is all about speed. Generally, the customers of Ricambi America want their items quickly -- within a few days at most, but oftentimes overnight. Through our deep inventory and supply network, that's usually not a problem.  But today, something new happened.

I needed to visit Sport Auto, the local shop where my Ferrari gets serviced, to pick up the car after a track inspection.  (Our Ferrari Club of America chapter requires profession inspections of each car before a track day).  On the drive to the shop, I noticed that none of the local gas stations had any customers.  Huh?  That's odd.   Then I remembered that folks in Charlotte, 70 miles south of me, had been complaining for about three days of long gas lines and no premium fuel to be found.    The fuel shortage has not spread to the Piedmont of North Carolina and appears to be a direct result of hurricane Ike.   Pipelines, although not damaged during the storm remain shut-down, and the fuel flow to our area and trickled off to almost nothing. :(

It was an odd sensation driving my 348 away from the shop, knowing that the fuel in the tank was all I'd have for a few days until the trucks/pipelines get running again.  While a 348 doesn't exactly sip fuel economically, it's not as fuel hungry as a big-12 like the 550's or TR's.  Nonetheless, the 40 mile drive made me happy to know that my daily driver is an extremely efficient MINI Cooper. 

(edit:  talk about a rambling blog entry!! WTF.  Time to stop typing, and start selling more Ferrari parts and accessories)


No comments: