Friday, October 31, 2008

Get out of the office!


Owning your own business is a 24/7/365 proposition.  There is absolutely no downtime, and the idea of a vacation is sometimes comical, at best.   For Ricambi America, in the Ferrari parts environment, there is always a car desperately in need of something -- whether its a new clutch for a track day, fresh wheel center caps for a concours, or even a major service kit, customers always want their items fast.  Although Ricambi America is spread across three time zones and have inventory strategically placed in several locations, its still difficult for me (as the business owner), to actually rest and leave the "office" behind.

Happily, Ricambi America is more than a job. Selling Ferrari parts is more than a career. It is really a 100% obsession/passion that surrounds all things related to Ferrari.   So for me, the greatest possible escape from the telephone and computer, is simply a day at the track in my Ferrari.   This week our local Ferrari Club of America chapter hosted a track day at VIR (Virginia International Raceway).  The 3.7 mile rolling road course is, as once described by Paul Newman, "heaven on earth".  

In addition to stretching the legs of my Ferrari at 7500 rpm and hearing the outrageous scream of my car, I get to hang around with my great friends in the local Club.  They're equally obsessed with Ferraris, but haven't yet managed to ditch their medical, legal, or other 'professional' careers in order to surround themselves with Italian exotic cars all day.  I did!  And I'm never looking back.

Anyway, it was a great day with cars and friends.  Next track day?   Not until March.   :(

No comments: